Product Review - King Arthur Brownie Mix

All right, a brief perusal of this blog will bring you to the conclusion that I'm not exactly a "pre-packaged mix" sort of gal.  Now, part of this is because of the whole gluten-free thing - which makes most mixes off-limits.  And part of it is that I sort of consider it cheating.

But I cheat from time to time.  In fact, I have a pantry full of mixes at the ready when I'm either in a rush, or just not home and the Domestic Sergeant has to (*gasp!*) bake something for the girls.  Note, none of these mixes have been provided to me - unless you count my mother dropping off a grocery bag full.  Tonight, I needed a chocolate fix, so I got out this:
A King Arthur Flour Gluten-free Brownie Mix.  As mixes go, this one is pretty darned easy.  It requires nothing more than a mix, a whisk, oil, water, and eggs.  It makes an 8" pan of brownies, with very little effort.  Plus, it's extremely easy to add other goodies into the batter.  This time, I added 1/2 cup of white chocolate chips.
Though it should be noted that this may negate the allergy-free aspects of the mix, so be careful if you have other sensitivities.
The brownies are delightfully chewy and fudgy, with only the slightest hint of the grittiness so common to gluten-free baked goods.  The box says they stay good for 3 days, but to be honest, I've never had a pan last that long so I can't speak to that.
If there is any sort of flaw to these brownies, it's more of a personal thing - no icing.  I come from the camp that believes brownies aren't really brownies without it.  I do realize this is a highly polarized debate, and I welcome you to disagree with me.
This mix is the best brownie mix I've tried as yet.  I promise to review more, as I get around to them.  In the meantime, if you need a brownie fix, reach for the King Arthur mix.  (And if you need frosting:  2 Tbsp butter or margarine, 6 Tbsp cocoa powder, 1 1/2 c. powdered sugar, 2-3 Tbsp milk.   Just sayin'.)

Comments

Popular Posts