Cinnamon Chip Bundt Cake

It's National Bundt Day!
And I'm a little late, with this, but I'm finally getting it up.
Now, I got a little goody recently.  One of my co-workers brought in a box of cooking bric-a-brac that a friend wanted to get rid of.  Amidst the elderly, bent aluminum pans, broken salad tongs, and other bits, was this:

An original Bundt pan from the 1960's.  With the "Tunnel of Fudge" recipe prined both on the pan liner, and on the back of the box:
Too much fun, right?  So, I decided to make a simple little cake to test drive the thing.  I give you...

Cinnamon Chip Bundt Cake


And I note, too, that this is really good with dried cherries.  Chop 3/4 c. dried cherries, and allow them to soak in a little orange juice for an hour.  Drain and stir into the batter instead of the cinnamon chips.

1/2 cup + 6 Tbsp unsalted butter, softened
2 c. brown sugar
4 eggs
1 tsp almond extract
2 1/2 c. Fancy Flour Blend, GF AP flour of your choice, OR
1/2 c. millet flour
3/4 c. white rice flour
1/4 c. sweet rice flour
1/2 c. + 2 Tbsp Tapioca starch
2 Tbsp potato starch

1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1 1/2 tsp xanthan gum
1/2 c. + 2 Tbsp milk
1 c. cinnamon chips

Icing

2 Tbsp salted butter
1/4 c. brown sugar
1 1/2 c. powdered sugar
2 Tbsp milk
1 tsp vanilla
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Grease a bundt pan and dust lightly with sweet rice flour.
In a bowl, sift together flours, salt, soda, cinnamon and xanthan gum.
In the bowl of a mixer, cream together butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy.
Add eggs, one at a time, beating well between additions.  Beat in almond extract.
Incorporate the flour mixture and milk in alternating additions.  Beat until just smooth.  Stir in chips.  Pour into pan, smooth, and bake for an hour to an hour and 10 minutes, or until a cake tester inserted into the center comes out done.
Cool 10 minutes in pan, then turn out onto a heat-proof plate.  While cake cools, make icing.
In a saucepan, melt butter and stir in brown sugar.  Cook over low heat until smooth.  Stir in half of powdered sugar, and stir briskly until incorporated.  Add vanilla and 1 Tbsp milk, stirring until smooth.  Add the remaining sugar and stir until smooth again.  Add enough milk to reach drizzling consistency.  Spoon over warm cake.
This is a simple, wonderful cake.  My little one even climbed into Daddy's lap to share.
A casein-free version would be pretty easy to make, by substituting a dairy-free margarine for the butter and soy, rice, or almond milk for the milk.  Almond milk would be pretty good!

Comments

  1. Lucky you! I love bundt pans. I usually make icing by mixing powdered sugar + milk or water, will try your recipe next time :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great cake and what a find in the box of misc stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Yuri - The butter was Mom's trick - to make the icing taste a little less "flat." Though I don't try it if I really want it to dry hard.

    @Kristen - thanks! I'm still a little geeked about the pan. I didn't have one, and so I was really way too enthralled with this when I found it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts