Apple Cinnamon Chip Muffins

Welcome again to Muffin Monday!  This weeks' original recipe for Apple Buttermilk Muffins with Coconut Crumble can be found at Baker Street.

For my version, I decided to leave out the coconut, and instead add in some cinnamon chips.  I also substituted Greek Yogurt for the buttermilk (I was out of buttermilk), and made some with the crumble and some with a caramel glaze.  Here we go:

Gluten-free Apple Cinnamon Chip Muffins

1/2 c. Amaranth flour
1/4 c. gluten-free oat flour
1 c. white rice flour
1/4 c. sweet rice flour
6 Tbsp tapioca starch
2 Tbsp potato starch
2-1/2 tsp soda
1/2 tsp salt
1-1/2 tsp xanthan gum
3/4 c. brown sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
3 Medium apples, chopped and cooked till soft
1 egg
1/3 c. oil
6 oz pkg greek yogurt
2/3 c. cinnamon chips

Crumble:

3 Tbsp sweet rice flour
1 ½ Tbsp butter
1 Tbsp sugar

Peel and chop the apples, toss with a little lemon juice, and then cook over low heat in a covered saucepan until they just start to soften.
Set the apples aside to cool.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Line a 12-cup muffin pan with papers or spray with nonstick cooking spray.
Combine the crumble flour and sugar, then rub in the butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
In a bowl, whisk together the flours/starches, soda, salt, sugar, cinnamon, and xanthan gum.
In another bowl, whisk together yogurt, egg, and oil.
Stir the apples gently into the dry ingredients, then add the yogurt mixture and stir till just mix.  Gently stir in cinnamon chips.
Fill the muffin cups 2/3-3/4 full, and sprinkle crumble on top.
Bake for 15-20 mintues, until golden.
I find streusels somewhat problematic with gluten-free flours.  Until I conquer this little issue, I find I often prefer a glaze.  The recipe below makes more glaze than you'll need for this batch of muffins, but it's good on other things, too!

Caramel Glaze:

2 Tbsp butter (salted)
¼ c. brown sugar
2 Tbsp milk
1 ½ c. powdered sugar

Combine the butter, 1 Tbsp of milk, and brown sugar in a saucepan and heat over medium-low heat until butter is melted and sugar is dissolved.  Stir in powdered sugar, then thin to drizzling consistency with remaining milk. 
 This was a great recipe, and promises to be the delight of this week's lunchboxes!

And while I'm at it, would you please vote for my blog as one of the Top 25 Allergy Free Mom Blogs?   You can vote once every 24 hours for the next 9 days by going here.  I'd really appreciate it!

Comments

  1. YAY! for gluten free recipes and I love that caramel glaze you added!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So nice to see a Gluten free version for the round up! Enjoyed baking with you for the first time too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yumm I will have to share this with my neighbour who has food allergies! Love the caramel glaze added, wish I did that on mine. Happy Muffin Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cinnamon chips and caramel glaze? Mmmm! Fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  5. cinnamon chips and caramel glaze! now this is a muffin! happy muffin monday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wish I could get some cinnamon chips! Never seen them here. Gorgeous gluten-free muffins, love the caramel glaze :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cinnamon chips? Never heard of them but they sound fantastic! I've always found GF streusels challenging as well. So hard to find the perfect taste/texture.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mmmmmmm. Caramel glaze and cinnamon chips! So wonderful imagining how these taste! Will certainly be voting for your blog - good luck!!!

    (And thanks for such sweet comments on my post! xo)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts