Gingerbread Muffins

I really have a memory like a sieve, some days.  Like today.  I made muffins and it wasn't until they were nearly cool that I remembered that my youngest cannot bring anything in HER lunch that contains peanuts or peanut butter because other students have allergies.  Whoops.

So I stepped BACK into the kitchen and grabbed my little 1920's copy of "Brer Rabbit's Modern Recipes for the Modern Hostess."  And decided that Gingerbread Muffins were just the ticket.  No "in progress" photos today, but here are the muffins:
And the book is in the background.

Gingerbread Muffins - GF/CF


Yield: 16-20 muffins

1/2 c. sugar
1/2 c. shortening
1 egg
1 c. light molasses
3 1/2 c. Fancy Flour Blend OR GF AP flour OR
3/4 c. millet flour
3/4 c. tapioca starch
1-1/4 c. white rice flour
1/2 + 2 Tbsp sweet rice flour
2 Tbsp potato starch

2-1/2 tsp. xanthan gum
1-1/2 tsp. soda
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. ground ginger
1/2 tsp. cloves
1/2 tsp. salt
scant 1 c. hot water

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Line 2 muffin pans with paper wrappers.  Cream together shortening and sugar.  Beat in egg and molasses.  In another bowl, sift together dry ingredients.  Add dry ingredients to molasses mixture.  Beat well.  Fill muffin cups 1/2-2/3 full (a 2 oz. disher is just about right).  Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until tops are dry and start to crack just a bit.
Now I'm wondering if it's possible to make a hard sauce icing.  But I'm betting they won't last long enough for me to bother.

Comments

Popular Posts