Bake Together - Piave Sables

So, with my usual efficiency (or utter lack thereof, which would be nearer the mark) I bring you my entry in Abby Dodge's Bake Together project for March.  The original recipe for Spicy Parmesan Sables appears on her blog.  So go check the original recipe, and then come back here.

My variation is gluten free, but still pretty easy.  I replaced the flour in the original recipe with 1-1/4 c. + 2 Tbsp GF AP flour., 1 Tbsp potato flour, 1 Tbsp whey powder, and 3/4 tsp xanthan gum.  I used left-overs from a variety of other recipes, including a batch of bread and a few other things, but any commercial blend will do.  King Arthur is a personal favorite of mine.
When it came to the cheese, I went to visit a local cheese monger and asked for a recommendation.  I came home with a block of piave.  So my sables contain 2 oz of piave:

I ran out into the garden, and while it's early Spring for west Michigan, the warm spell a week ago made it possible for me to find some lemon thyme and a little tarragon.

The dough worked up quite a bit better than I expected, shaping and forming into a brick easily.

They also browned nicely in the oven.  They did seem a bit more fragile than they should be, prone to crumble and slightly gritty.  Next time, I think I will make it a point to be sure that at least 1/3 of the flour mixture is starchy in nature, with most of that being potato starch.  But all in all, they were tasty and likely to be repeated.  Thanks again, Abby!

Comments

Popular Posts