Bake Together - Panna Cotta

I apologize for the brief hiatus.  Back-to-School is even more involved when your children are on the Autism Spectrum.  There's all the ironing out of transportation, classes, who has to be where, when - and Oh, the Paperwork!  But still - Bad Blogger!  No biscuit!

This month's "Bake Together," the brain child of the inimmitable Abby Dodge, is actually a "no bake" Bake Together.  A concept that would have made more sense for me had I been efficient and done mine in the hot, early weeks of August.  Rather than now, when the nights are getting into the 50's and the Farmer's Market is full of apples!  But it was still fun.

The source recipe is here, Ricotta Panna Cotta with Brezza Fresca.  We'll use that as our jumping-off point.  First, I should admit that I find panna cotta a bit intimidating.  Possibly because The Cygnus restaurant at the top of the Amway Grand in Grand Rapids, MI serves a fan-tabulous Vanilla Bean Panna Cotta with Blood Orange Syrup that I worship and have never managed to replicate.  But I was game.
I present Mascarpone Panna Cotta with Bellini Sauce:

I eliminated the water, and used 3/4 cup of milk and 1/2 c. cream instead.  (More liquid, because the mascarpone was so thick.)  I replaced the ricotta with 8 oz of mascarpone.  I bloomed the gelatin in the milk.

And then melted it very carefully in the microwave.  My version is sweetened with 1/4 c. sugar and 2 Tbsp honey, and flavored with 1/2 tsp vanilla and 1/4 tsp almond extract.  Then they went into the fridge to set.  I did try to whisk them to combine, but he mascarpone was a bit too thick.


I had to break out the stick blender.  In hindsight, after doing so, I SHOULD have allowed them to sit on the counter for a while for all the bubbles to pop before I put them in the fridge.  They set up pretty quickly!
The sauce is equally easy:
Cut up 1 white peach and 1 yellow peach.

Add 1/3 c each sugar and Prosecco (Or 1 Tbsp lemon juice plus enough water to make 1/3 c), and heat until sugar is dissolved and peaches are slightly softened.
And there you are!

Thanks, Abby!  This one was fun, even without the baking!

Comments

Popular Posts